Friday, April 24, 2009

Gumbo Shop's Crawfish Etouffee

Bayne and I went to New Orleans on our honeymoon and I became addicted to Gumbo Shop's etouffee. I've never found a restaurant that compares so I was forced to learn to cook it myself.

It's also my favorite way to use up a lot of onions, and to sneak green peppers into my diet.

Gumbo Shop's Crawfish Etouffee

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
3 cups chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp Tobasco (I use more)
1.25 cups shrimp or seafood stock
1 lb peeled crawfish tails
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley

In cast iron skillet or dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add the flour and make a roux the color of peanut butter. When the roux is the right color, immediately pour in the onion, celery and bell pepper to stop the roux from burning. Cook until onions are translucent and celery and peppers are tender. Add the garlic, basil, black pepper, white pepper, cayenne pepper, salt and paprika and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in tabasco and stock and bring to a gentle boil. Add the crawfish tails, green onions and parsley. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Serve over rice.

No comments: