Friday, August 21, 2015

My Books for Keeps Story - Julie McGinty

In the process of helping Books for Keeps serve children in need, board member Julie McGinty had an "AHA!" moment about how to help her own daughter be a better reader.  Thanks for sharing your story, Julie!

When I joined the Books for Keeps board two years ago, I never imagined that I would learn to be a better mom to my "reluctant reader" in the process.  I wasn’t a big reader growing up; I’m sure I read books, but I don’t remember many.  I was determined that my daughter would be a reader, so I made a habit of purchasing age-appropriate books for her as she learned to read independently.

Time and time again I chose books I knew were popular with children her age - and she refused to read them.  She stuck with the very simple picture books which she had read at least 20 times.  I was frustrated. People told me she would catch on when she was ready, so I stepped back for a while.

I joined the Books for Keeps board around this time. During my first book distribution in May 2014, I saw children browsing the books and making their own choices about what to read.  Volunteers were asking them "What do you want to read this summer?" and helping them find books that matched their interests.  Many of them were excited over a book titled "Baby Mouse."  I looked it over and it wasn’t necessarily a book that I would purchase for my daughter, but I thought I’d give it a try.

I took my daughter to Barnes & Noble that same day. Instead of choosing books for her, I showed her Baby Mouse and other great books I had seen that day, and told her to pick out $25 worth of books that piqued her interest.  She chose three Baby Mouse books and that was that. She read and re-read those books, with no encouragement or reminders from me!

Then she told me other books she liked at her school library and more books she wanted to read.  My reluctant reader was developing a love of reading! It finally clicked with me that the key principle we follow at Books for Keeps applies to my own child as well:  if we want children to read, we must give them books they want to read.   Self-selection is key.

Thank you, Books for Keeps, for the thousands of books you place in the hands of children each year - but also for helping me learn how to help my “reluctant” reader to become a “willing” reader.

No comments: